Vista/XP Network problem

chub_tor 15:45 24 Jun 07

I have a laptop running XP and a desktop running Vista. They are wireless networked via a Belkin Router. Both computers show up on the respective My Network Places and I can view all the shared files on both computers. I can transfer files from the XP computer to the Vista laptop with no problem but if I try to transfer files from the Vista laptop to the XP desktop I get an error message box with the title "Destination Folder Access Denied" and with the message "You need permission to perform this operation." It doesn't seem to be a firewall problem as I have switched both of them off and still get the same error, I have also switched off UAC on the Vista laptop with no effect. I have tried a few other things with no success - any suggestions welcome.

mgmcc 22:13 24 Jun 07

In the Advanced Sharing properties of the Vista folders you've shared, have you set the Permissions so that "Everyone" has "Full Control" Allowed?

chub_tor 20:45 04 Jul 07

Sorry for the delay, yes I have rechecked that I have Full Control for Everyone but I still can't transfer files from vista to xp.

mgmcc 21:13 05 Jul 07

If you log in to XP with a different Username/Password from that used in Vista, try giving permission specifically to the XP Username in the Vista permissions.

I don't know the answer but suspect it is almost certainly a "permissions" issue and you need to play about with settings in there. Presumably while actually using the Vista laptop, you can transfer files from it to the XP PC?

chub_tor 19:12 06 Jul 07

Thanks I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

I can transfer from my XP desktop to my Vista laptop but not from the laptop to the desktop.

mgmcc 20:56 06 Jul 07

<<< I can transfer from my XP desktop to my Vista laptop but not from the laptop to the desktop.>>>

Yes, but which computer are you actually *OPERATING* when trying to do this?

Are you saying that while operating the Vista laptop, you still cannot transfer files from it over to the XP PC?

chub_tor 22:26 06 Jul 07

Yes that is exactly what I mean, for example I have pictures on my XP desktop that I wish to have on my laptop, so I go into Network Places on my laptop, locate the desktop PC on my network and open up the desktop My Pictures (My Documents is a shared folder). If I try to move any of the files from the desktop PC to anywhere on the laptop I get this Access denied message. However if I do the reverse and try to move pictures from the laptop over the network to the Vista laptop then no problems occur

The Papermaker 15:33 12 Jul 07

I had some network problems with one of my xp machines. It turn out to be a problem with Norton Antivirus. IF you do a google search it may put you on the the remedy. I had to go into my registry file and remove an entry. But unfortunately I forgot the entry I had to remove. The google search took care of my research. If you do not find it, respond back and I will do a more thorough search.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5