vista/xp bluetooth

woody 20:19 12 Sep 10

I have been trying to net work two pc's without success for some time (Vista & XP) then I noticed this - LM055 Bluetooth 2.0 Bluetooth Class 2 - £1.95 each.
It looks like all I need is two of these - one on each pc -and all is solved!
Is that all I need?
Seems too easy!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 13 Sep 10

Blue tooth will only transfer 1 file at a time and is therefore almost useless for real networking.

To net work two machines
if directly you need a crossover cable.
If via a router
two cat 5 patch cables, one cable from each machine to the router.
or a wireless card / dongle in each machine

Choose a name for your network. Most businesses use some form of their business name, while people setting up home networks often use family names. Write the name down exactly as you spell it.

Adjust the workgroup name on the XP computer. Use the "Start" button, and then right-click "My Computer." Select "Properties." Click on the "Computer Name" tab to reveal the workgroup name. You can change the name by clicking "Change" and typing the new name in the "Computer Name" field. Save changes by clicking "OK."

Change the network name on the Vista machine. Use the "Start" button, and then click "Control Panel," "System and Maintenance" and "System." Look for "Computer Names, Domain, and Workgroup Settings" and click the "Change Settings" option. Go to "System Properties" and click on the "Computer Name" tab. Select the "Change" option. Type the network name you created in the field next to "Workgroup" in "Computer Name/Domain Changes." Save your changes by clicking "OK" and allow your computer to restart.

Set the Vista computers to a private network location for your local network. Go back to the "Control Panel" from the "Start" menu. Select the "Network and Internet" icon, and then click "Network and Sharing Center." You should see your network name and a designation next to the name. If the designation is "Public" or "Domain," click "Customize." Change the network type to "Private" in the box next to "Location Type" in the "Set Network Location" field. Save your changes by clicking "Next" and "Close."

Test your network to see if your XP and Vista computers are working together.

woody 11:03 13 Sep 10

I tried the vista to the main incoming box (cable) works perfect.
Then I can do the same with xp - removed vista - works perfect.
Cable from xp to vista - vista could see xp but only 3 files - I forget which now - and they could be open ok and fast enough.
I want to be able to use the xp as another part of the vista set up - i.e. just click on any files as though it is a hdd in the vista tower.
I don't mind if the down load is slow - it will be hardly used.
I like to think I am quite knowledgeable with a single pc but networking I am very poor.Over the mths I have spent days and failed!

kjrider 11:55 13 Sep 10

You need to allow your files to be 'shared.'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:03 13 Sep 10

My computer - Right click the drive - Sharing and security

woody 17:17 13 Sep 10

Thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…