Vista/XP

cassoj 12:21 05 Sep 07

Hi,
I recently bought a laptop in PC world which uses Vista Home Premium. My PC uses XP. Is it possible/advisable to transfer Vista to the PC.
( I dont have a Vista disc.) The saleman told me it could easily be done but he also told me that Office 2003 wouldn't work with vista and it does. !

davidprc 12:46 05 Sep 07

Your licence is for the machine you bought from PC World so you cannot have Vista on both. However you can swap them both over and speak to MS to validate.

wee eddie 13:12 05 Sep 07

The PC would probably be underpowered for Vista and it probably works OK at the moment.

What would you gain?

FreeCell 15:30 05 Sep 07

Office 2003 does work with Vista but isn't supported by Microsoft so any problems will not be resolved by any further patches. Similarly, Office 2000 works on Vista (mostly) but there is no support from Microsoft.
Main areas of problems/incompatibility are with Outlook.

Maybe the salesman was trying to say what is the official MicroSoft line is that you should use Office 2007 on Vista.

wee eddie 16:57 05 Sep 07

I am running Office XP (2002) and all the relevant add-ons and updates are still available on the M$ Suite. So, one assumes that Office XP (2003) is similarly catered for.

wee eddie 16:58 05 Sep 07

Mind deteriorating fast.

for Suite ~ read Site

Devil Fish 22:20 05 Sep 07

the vista installed on the laptop is probably an OEM install (original equipment manufacturer )

which means it is non transferable

there for if you wish to install vista on your PC you would have to purchase a separate license

FreeCell 15:08 06 Sep 07

wee eddie

Yes updates are still available and most will be installed and work. However, MS will not provide any new updates for Vista problems with Office 2003 is what I was trying to say.

thedaftone 20:59 27 Dec 07

Is it possible to put xp on a vista laptop? would everything work?

mazuk 02:34 29 Dec 07

the manufacturers would allow you to create a backup dvd for vista to reinstall incase of a format or repair of vista however this would not entital you to install it upon your xp machine...another thing you have to remember is that vista requires a lot more even in the home basic compared to the xp equivelant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…