Vista+Usb pen drive speeding up system? Really?

buel 09:15 20 Jun 09

Hi, my mother has a Vitsa laptop and the crucial scanner tells her she cannot add any more than the 2gb of Ram she already has so i was thinking could she use a usb pen drive to 'act' as Ram as i read somewhere that this can be used as a kind of Ram? Is this true? I plugged in a 8gb Usb pen drive and chose the option of 'speed up my system' but unfortunately i got the message 'This device does not have the required performance characteristics for use in speeding up your system'. Please can anyone explain why? Is it because it is 8gb (too much/large) and also does it really act as good as Ram?

bobbybowls 09:21 20 Jun 09

It is called ready readyboost click here click here you need a compatible usb drive.

I have tryed it and did not think it improved the speed on my toshiba laptop, but you may get better results.

anniesboy 09:22 20 Jun 09

Have a look at this
click here

buel 10:35 20 Jun 09

Thanks. i've read the links, what id like to know is if i add enough Ram to my gf's laptop (3gb) would i get ANY advantage by using a sd card and using the 'speed up my system' option?

buel 11:58 20 Jun 09

Update: I've just found that my gf's laptop has already got the max Ram in it (2gb) so it looks like i may have to go down the SD card route...so will she notice a difference by adding, say, a 2gb SD card and using the 'speed up my system' option?

buel 15:09 20 Jun 09

Update: I've just found that my gf's laptop has already got the max Ram in it (2gb) so it looks like i may have to go down the SD card route...so will she notice a difference by adding, say, a 2gb SD card and using the 'speed up my system' option?

buel 19:14 20 Jun 09

OTT_Buzzard 19:19 20 Jun 09

you *really* need to talk to your phone provider!

Sea Urchin 19:29 20 Jun 09

You only need to ask the question about your mother/girlfriend's laptop once - repetition is quite unnecessary

mooly 19:40 20 Jun 09

Ready boost. Been there and done that, never again.
click here

I'd be interested to know what your findings are. In the end I increased my RAM, definitely the way to go IMO.

buel 22:34 20 Jun 09

Thanks Mooly, very interesting! Perhaps i'll leave it, it sounds more trouble than it's worth!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…