Vista for XP swop and memory sticks.

eysha1 15:14 29 May 14

I asked this in my other question as linked below but got no replies so thought it best to ask in a new thread in case mine got missed.

I have my vista disk so can I replace the old XP system with the vista system by wiping the XP and replacing with the Vista?

I have spare memory sticks and wonder where I can use them - they are: 2x1gig 2RX16 PC2 6400S 666-12-A3 from the Vista - would they go into my present Win 8 laptop or the old XP as above or my daughter's Win 7 Acer Aspire 5749?

Read more: click here

Jollyjohn 15:52 29 May 14

In my humble opinion Vista from XP is a backward step. To keep using XP, use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and keep your antivirus up to date.

Why do I think Vista is a backward step. It will run slower on the same hardware. If you do install Vista, once set up and updated, about three days, do not switch off, only put to sleep, will help make it a little more useable. When Vista starts it checks for updates, TrustedInstaller, is the process running and this can take up to 15 mins to complete and in the mean time the computer is quite unresponsive.

As for the RAM sticks, they won't fit W8 laptop but may fit older machines. Run Crucial scanner to see exactly what is installed and compare with is available.

bumpkin 17:16 29 May 14

**I have my vista disk so can I replace the old XP system with the vista system by wiping the XP and replacing with the Vista **

I would stick with XP personally. Can't see why you want to use vista which is not as good.

eysha1 19:23 30 May 14

Thanks, I will stick with XP and use firefox. Is crome any good to use too or just firefox?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 30 May 14

For this site I'm now on chrome after using FF for years the sit is slow both with IE and FF

rdave13 19:33 30 May 14

I've taken a dislike to Chrome, although Firefox is imitating it now. So use Pale Moon as an alternative to IE when needed. Still use IE8 on XP with Rapport.

Personal preference really.

eysha1 22:20 01 Jun 14

Thanks. This site is always slow, I think it is likely due to all the adverts they have on here - takes ages to get in to see posts.

rdave13 22:43 01 Jun 14

Adblock Plus might help. Check link using different browsers. Also SpywareBlaster is good for IE.

use the free version of SpywareBlaster if you like. Keep an eye out on here if there is a definitions update, Hiwatt is pretty good at notifying us.

If I've got the forum member's name wrong then I sincerely apologise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…