Vista --> Xp Home Network Firewall Problems

TicTacToc 20:22 02 Mar 08

I have a home wireless network with my laptop on Vista and my Desktop on XP.

In order to access the other system on both the laptop and desktop I have to disable the Windows Firewall (File and Printer Sharing is an exception). With the firewall enabled neither works.

Is there an obvious setting I can enable to that I can access files from my laptop or desktop without having to disable the firewall?

Thanks.

TicTacToc 18:35 03 Mar 08

I have made sure File And Printer Sharing is an exception...
Anyone?

PA28 19:01 03 Mar 08

I have exactly the same setup and it works fine. The problem in my case was the ZoneAlarm firewall rather than the Windows one. If you have Zonealarm on your desktop then go into the Firewall option and set levels to Medium (if you're worried than just set the trusted zone to this). The click on the Zone tab at the top right and "Add". Make sure the zone is set to Trusted and then enter the first and last IP address of your network - you can get this information from your router, but it's probably something like 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.254. That should openthings up.

I had no problem with my Windows firewall at all so cannot advise how to make exceptions on this - no doubt this is similar and someone who has done it will advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…