vista xp dual boot problem

Legolas 20:06 13 Feb 09

I have just got a new laptop with Vista preinstalled. I have never used Vista before and have nothing against it but I would like to dual boot with XP to compare them. I have made room on my c: drive using the inbuilt disk partition tool in Vista (very handy) Now the problems begin, when I boot from my Win XP cd it goes through the usual installation of drivers etc till it gets to the screen "starting Windows" just before you choose which partition to install to, I then get a blue screen of death with the usual message windows has halted the operation etc etc etc. I can then go no further. Anyone know what the problem might be and the solution?

BurrWalnut 20:35 13 Feb 09

Normally the oldest operating system has to be installed first but XP can be added to an existing Vista installation, have a look click here or click here

Legolas 20:42 13 Feb 09

Thanks for the links I have already followed both. My problem is that XP only installs as far as puttting on the initial drivers up to the part when you would be selecting a drive or partition to install to, this is when I get the error message outlined in my initial post, I don't actually get as far as starting to install XP

BurrWalnut 21:17 13 Feb 09

Do you have a SATA HDD? If so, you will need the drivers.

Legolas 11:19 14 Feb 09

Thanks again for your reply. I think you might have got to the root of the problem, I have checked and yes it is a SATA HDD now the problem is I only have the three DVD's I was prompted to burn when I first booted the laptop. I suppose the drivers should be on one of these. I will see if I can find them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017