vista to xp

stephen1978 19:09 27 Feb 09

if my sister-in-law has bought a laptop with vista pre install can she change it to xp as long as she can find the correct drivers for xp ???

jimv7 19:14 27 Feb 09

Yes.

smokingbeagle 19:20 27 Feb 09

She would need a copy of XP with a licence key.
If the laptop has a SATA hard drive, she would need to slipstream the SATA drivers and XP using somthing like nLite.
click here
Not difficult but not straightforward either.

MAT ALAN 19:31 27 Feb 09

click here

your post sorta suggests she has not bought a lappy yet, the link may help, plenty of XP lappy's still available...

stephen1978 19:35 27 Feb 09

the laptop shes bought is a asus laptop

i already have a xp boot disk with key

tullie 20:40 27 Feb 09

Its not a boot disk you want but a full retail copy,not used on any other machine.Someone correct me if im wrong.

stephen1978 20:52 27 Feb 09

ive got a retail copy thats never been used and intend to use it on her laptop, is all i need to do is install the disk and find the drivers for xp and im ready to go??

birdface 20:56 27 Feb 09

Probably better leaving it on Vista then I believe you get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.

canarieslover 22:07 27 Feb 09

I would certainly make sure that you had the drivers before you reformat and install XP. Very few new laptops have XP motherboard drivers available.

kjrider 10:35 28 Feb 09

Why not keep the Vista HD and get another HD to put XP onto? They do not cost very much and you would save any hassle if your installation of XP didn't work properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos