Vista won't recognise second hard disc

crenac 14:48 31 Oct 08

I have replaced the hard disc of my Dell Dimension 5100, and done a clean install of Vista home premium, which is runing reasonably well.

I have connected the old SATA disc which is recognised by device manager and shown as having three partitions: 1 healthy (EISA), 2 healthy (active primary partition) 3 healthy (primary partition). I would like to reformat the disc which had OEM XP and data now no longer wanted.

I'm unable to access the drive which I believe is something to do with the OEM installation.

Can any one offer a solution to this problem?

BurrWalnut 15:07 31 Oct 08

Have you tried to delete the volume?

If not, go to the Windows Orb (Start), type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter, right-click the graphic for the drive and delete all the volumes. Then ‘Create’ a partition in the unallocated space and ‘Format’ it.

crenac 15:39 31 Oct 08

Thanks BurrWalnut
I can delete the partitions containing programmes etc (2 in query) and the one which I think is the Dell help files (3 in query), but not 1 the EISA partition.
Any more ideas?
Crenac

BurrWalnut 15:51 31 Oct 08

The third one is small, isn't it?

Why not just ignore it and make one partition from the unallocated space.

skidzy 16:38 31 Oct 08

The EISA partition is the the recovery/restore Ghost image that would load all the preinstalled apps and os Basically a factory reset.

If ive understood correctly,you wish to totally blank the drive ,removing the os and ghost image and all partitions ?

Then i think your best bet is to use Killdisk or Dban

killdisk click here
Dban click here

crenac 16:12 17 Nov 08

Thanks guys, unfortunately neither Dban nor the format facility on Vista installation discs will erase the recovery/restore partition. Anyone got any more ideas?
Crenac

DippyGirl 16:52 17 Nov 08

Could you use a partitioning tool like GParted click here ?
Have used it successfully to create/resize partitions but have never tried to do what you are doing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now