Vista won't boot

Prancer 06:48 29 Sep 09

I've messed up my Vista boot programme by doing some partition work with Gparted and now it won't boot. After I enter the boot password it starts to load Vista but after 10 seconds reverts to the boot password screen. I can probably get into the BIOS but haven't tried that yet as I don't know what to do there except alter the boot order. I have the recovery discs I made when the laptop was new (it's a Vaio NS11J running Vista Home Premium) but would prefer not to have to go through the hassle of reloading all my programmes. Is there any other way out for me?

mooly 07:01 29 Sep 09

The only thing I can think of is doing a "startup" repair but you would need to get hold of a Vista installation disk to do it I think.
If you haven't played around in the BIOS can't see anything there being a problem.
I suspect a reinstall is on the cards.

sunnystaines 07:44 29 Sep 09

this sounds odd. not sure why it sometimes works instead of normal shut down pull the plug.

next time you boot up you get the option to select last working config whereas before it would not have got this far.

if it works run chkdsk afterwards.

sharpamat 08:56 29 Sep 09

sound more like a password problem than BIOS settings

This may help and allow you to resett password

sharpamat 11:10 29 Sep 09

sorry forgot link
click here

Prancer 11:33 29 Sep 09

Thanks guys but no go. I can't get into the BIOS but I know my boot password is correct as it gets me into a Windows Boot Manager screen which tells me that Windows failed to start and suggests I insert a Windows installation disc and select 'Repair your computer'. The best I have is the Vaio recovery discs as above. The message goes on to say that the fault is in the file \Windows\system32\winload.exe and gives the status as 0xc000000e. 'The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt'.
Looks like a complete re-install?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 29 Sep 09

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from the computer, and then restart the computer.
2. Follow one of these steps:
* If the computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as the computer restarts. You must press the F8 key before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must restart and try again.
* If the computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to select the operating system that you want to repair. Then, press and hold F8.
3. In Advanced Boot Options, use the arrow keys to select Repair the computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Click a keyboard layout in the list, and then click Next.
5. Click a user name in the list, enter the password, and then click OK.
6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Note The problem may not be resolved after the Startup Repair tool runs one time. If the problem is not resolved when the computer restarts, follow the steps again.

Prancer 11:44 29 Sep 09

Thanks Fruit Bat, but again no go. As long as I hold down the F8 key nothing happens and on release it goes back to the Vaio logo then the BIOS password request so I don't get the Advanced Boot Options at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 29 Sep 09

When the VAIO logo appears on the computer's screen, briefly press the F10 key on the computer keyboard.

Prancer 16:19 29 Sep 09

Thanks Fruit Bat, I now get the Vaio Recovery Centre with the options to 10 run a hardware test, 2) Restore the C drive, 3) Restore the whole disc and 4) Rescue Data. It looks like a re-install using 2 or 3?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 29 Sep 09

Perhaps you need to rescue DATA first to back up any documents and photos etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac