Vista Wireless Laptop to Windows XP (SP3) Desktop

LennieAJ 17:51 07 Jan 09

I have an Acer laptop which is wireless and is connected to the internet via my BT Voyager 2110 hub. It is protected by McAfee Security.

I also have a desktop computer which is not wifi enabled but is also connected to the BT Voyager but by Ethernet cable. It on the other hand is protected by Trend P-cillin. Additionally the laptop is Vista and the wired PC is Windows XP(SP3). The scanner and printer are connected to the wired desktop via USB.

Both connect to the Internet with no problems and both Trend and McAfee detect the other computer as part of a network. On the laptop in Network the desktop computer is there with its printer but not as part of the network map. On the desktop the laptop is recognised in shared folders but again not as part of a network. The workgroups are the same and both PC’s pick each other as in the workgroup.

I have looked at several articles and tried one or two solutions with out much luck but nothing I’ve seen really covers my problem. As I am only a beginner at networking it may be that I’m doing something obviously wrong but any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Lennie AJ

Jollyjohn 19:00 07 Jan 09

Hi

Try this
On the PC go Start, Control Panel, Network connections.
Right click on Local Area Connection, Properties.
There should be 4 items in the list, Client for microsoft networks, File and Printer sharing, QoS packet scheduler and TCP/IP protocol.
Click install, select Protocol, Add.
Select the bottom one "NW link ipx/spx etc"
OK and reboot.
Do the same on the Vista laptop, reboot.
Ensure the printer is shared on the PC and that it is installed as a network printer on the laptop and try printing a test page.

LennieAJ 20:33 07 Jan 09

Thanks Jollyjohn. Have managed to do this on the desktop but this protocol is not on my laptop. However I have managed to print. One query the laptop has LLTD and the desktop doesn't. Microsoft help says that this should be on both computers and altho' my desktop has SP3 which should have the patch for LLTD this protocol is missing from that LAN. According to Microsoft this might be the reason that the network web is not showing the desktop PC. I'm not unduly worried as the printer is working but can you help on why I can't find the LLTD protocol. Cheers LennieAJ

Jollyjohn 09:24 08 Jan 09

Hi

Have a look here click here
Glad the printer works.

LennieAJ 10:59 08 Jan 09

Thanks for that Jollyjohn and everything fine.

Nikolai 21:54 10 Feb 09

I have the almost identical setup to LennieAJ's except for the fact that I have Norton Antivirus on the laptop and a 2Wire modem/router.
The printer shows on the Vista laptop and I can even view its properties. But its status shows as off line and I can not print.Jollyjohn's suggestion did not resolve the problem :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…