Vista Windows Explorer keeps crashing

Habsish 17:01 18 Feb 08

Have problem with Explorer keep crashing after and or during file transfers. I have Home Premium.

Get message saying Explorer has stopped working and is re starting. Some times get help page suggesting a reliability download. Download it only to find it is not suitable for my system.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Graham

Gongoozler 17:37 18 Feb 08

I was about to suggest that this could be a memory problem, but I am now more concerned about the "reliability download". Where does this originate? What was the website from which you were directed to download this from? If it wasn't from Microsoft or the computer manufacturer then I would suspect spyware. If that is the case, then download and run A-squared free click here.

Habsish 17:47 18 Feb 08

Thanks for your response.

Shouldn't be a memory problem as I have 2gig ram

The download page is from Microsoft.

Hab

Gongoozler 19:37 18 Feb 08

If the memory is in 2 modules, try with just one of them.

brundle 19:43 18 Feb 08

File transfers to/from where or what?

Do any of these match the download you are pointed to?

An update is available that improves the compatibility and reliability of Windows Vista
click here

An update is available that improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of Windows Vista
click here

An update is available that improves the performance and reliability of Windows Vista
click here

Habsish 20:06 18 Feb 08

Brundel Thanks.

The following Performance and reliability pack comes up when the problem occurs KB938979.

All my windows updates have been downloaded and installed up until now.

Problem in particular occrs when you move files betwen one folder and another on a USB flash drive but has also happened doing a similar thing on C drive.

H

brundle 20:12 18 Feb 08

Do you have the other two updates (or all three in fact) in Add/Remove list? Control Panel/Programs & Features,Tick Show Updates at the top.
If not, download them. If you already have the one you're pointed to, remove it reboot and manually install it.

Habsish 20:37 18 Feb 08

Don't seem to have any of the 3 you gave me links to.

Have KB92972978

H

brundle 20:43 18 Feb 08

938194 you do (my first link, your last number)

all update IDs are 6 digits

They're not always downloaded, unless you have a problem. Try them anyway.

Habsish 20:43 18 Feb 08

Been to windows updates and all the updates are shown including 938979

H

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…