Vista Will Not Boot

Legslip 10:14 AM 26 Sep 11

Have been working on my pals PC and he had Vista Updates switched off. Have now installed all updates up to S.Pack 2. Prob is when I switch on, it boots to the Microsoft Corporation screen with the bar running but that is as far as it gets. I have left it for a couple of hours but there seems to be little or no HDrive activity. Any solutions?

onthelimit1 10:44 AM 26 Sep 11

I think you'd have to start with a system restore?

Legslip 14:38 PM 26 Sep 11

Before I loaded all the updates the PC worked OK. When all updates installed the problem starts. Did a full system restore and removed all updates yesterday and put 'em back on again. Problem is back. Don't really want to uninstall 'em all AGAIN! What a b...y pain!

onthelimit1 15:33 PM 26 Sep 11

Don't you just love Vista - bin tearing my hair out with a couple recently!

Legslip 22:29 PM 21 Oct 11

Same problem is still happening. Boot gets to 'Microsoft Corporation' then hangs for hours until switched off. Just have a gut feeling it's to do with Vista updates or an update. Any guidance will be gratefully received. No boot CD,,,only option is a complete system restore. Don't really want to go down that avenue!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:23 PM 21 Oct 11

Do a start up repair

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Legslip 23:28 PM 21 Oct 11

As always Fruit Bat greatly appreciated.Will have a look tomorrow and repoert back.

Legslip 18:53 PM 23 Oct 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. Completed the Startup repair and then the PC loaded three Vista updates successfuly. Hopefully that sfixed it and to try and stop it happening again I have turned off Automatic Updates, rightfully or wrongly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:41 PM 23 Oct 11

Glad its sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know