Vista wallpaper and XP comuter compatability

cowgirl66 11:02 12 May 07

I recently posted this thread because of the trouble Iwas having using MSCONFIG > Startup without and 'Access Denied' error message coming up on my screen. click here

Since then, because the problem wasn't solved, I rebooted Windows XP, with no problems in MSCONFIG - until I reloaded a few Vista wallpapers which were for use on Windows XP Home computers. It seems that this is what caused the problem in the first place.

Could I be right here? I'm not much up on 'tweaking' and the effects it can have and I was just wondering if this is the culprit?

Regards cowgirl66

ArrGee 18:29 12 May 07

Depends on how you 'acquired' the wallpaper. Some sites will ask you to download a pack, which can contain nasties, others will present a thumbnail to be enlarged. Once enlarged, save the background to 'My Pictures', open it and right click, then set as background.

cowgirl66 09:18 13 May 07

I downloaded the wallpaper after seeing the thumbnails, enlarging them and then downloading them to My Docuements, where I set them as background.

It couldn't have been the HP printer driver because I hadnt even installed it at this stage.

Microsoft say that the 'Access denied' in MSCONFIG is an issue but they simply say it was something which was cured with SP1 service pack and I have SP2.

I have checked User Permissions in the registry;

- Open HKEY Local Machine
- Right click on Software
- Click on Permissions

The settings are as follows;

Administrator
Full control - Allow is checked
Read - Allow is checked
Special Permissions greyed out

CREATOR/OWNER
No boxes checked

SYSTEM
Full control - Allow is checked
Read - Allow is checked
Special Permissions greyed out

Users
Full Control - no checks
Read - Allow is checked

Is this ok?

Administrator

ArrGee 12:38 13 May 07

That's the same settings as I have, except under Creator/Owner, Special Permissions is checked but greyed out.

Is that the same on yours?

Also, have you tried running WindowsCare?

click here

skidzy 12:49 13 May 07

Can you point us in the diredtion of the downloads you have done for these wallpapers ?

A link would be good.

As mentioned above,the package could have an added sponsor that causes problems with Malware/Spyware.

cowgirl66 13:40 13 May 07

Arrgee, yes that's what I have for Creator/Owner and yes I have run Windowcare.

Skidzy this is the link from which I downloaded my wallpapers

click here

I have Mcafee Security Suite 2007 installed if that's any help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…