Vista wake from standby

Graham. 11:26 17 Oct 10

Occasionally, my desktop will wake from standby all by itself. If I look in Command prompt 'powercfg -lastwake' it only tells me:

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

Is there another command or source which will tell me what is waking the PC?

birdface 12:39 17 Oct 10

Not sure if one of your security programs were set to run a scan at a certain time if that would wake it up or not.
I would not think so but cannot think of anything else that might do it.
Someone hacking into your computer maybe.
But probably something simple I am sure someone will be able to give you the proper fix for it.

northumbria61 13:11 17 Oct 10

Try this

Disable the Wake on LAN feature.

To change this setting, type in Device Manager into the start menu search box, and then browse down to “Network Adapters” and find your network adapter.

Right-click it and choose Properties from the menu. In the resulting dialog, choose the Power Management tab.

Uncheck the box next to “Allow this device to wake the computer” to solve the problem.

Graham. 14:31 17 Oct 10

I've disabled AVG scheduled scans to see if it was the culprit.

northumbria61, thanks, already disabled.

northumbria61 15:15 17 Oct 10

I don't think AVG will be responsible - if it misses a scheduled scan it does it next time on startup. I have had AVG for about 9 yrs now and have always had "scheduled" scans but it has never woken the PC up from standby.

Graham. 15:21 17 Oct 10

You could be right. I'll schedule AVG to scan at 18.30 today when it will be on standby, see what happens.

northumbria61 15:31 17 Oct 10

Have you tried "powercfg/?" in CMD Prompt and looked at ALL the Options ?

Graham. 15:49 17 Oct 10

I've been tasked elsewhere, back later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…