Vista and W7 not compatable on the same wireless router

reddwarf 15 Oct 12
Answered

I have just spent an hour with TalkTalk technical support being told that the new router they supplied today can only be used wirelessly for Vista or W7 but not both together. Am i going mad. Both connect to the router but my Vista laptop will not connect to the internet and will only show as an unidentified public network.

onthelimit1 16 Oct 12
Answer

I would guess that the wireless card in the laptop is not compatible with the WPA security in the router. You could either change that to WEP,or buy a modern dongle. I have bought a number of these - small and work well.

reddwarf 16 Oct 12

Thanks for that answer. You were 100% right. Just had another session with technical support (much better operator this time) and that was the fix he came up with. Drop security to WEP. Everything is now working though I think I will be looking for a dongle so I can put the security back up later.

D@ve 20 Oct 12

It's quite concerning that TalkTalk will spout this rubbish to their customers. Imagine you'd gone through the expense and hassle of upgrading your laptop to Windows 7 only to find that it still didn't work!

D@ve 20 Oct 12

It's quite concerning that TalkTalk will spout this rubbish to their customers. Imagine you'd gone through the expense and hassle of upgrading your laptop to Windows 7 only to find that it still didn't work!

onthelimit1 21 Oct 12

D@ve

I agree - terrible customer service. This problem of older cards being incompatible with later security really should be known by the companies.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message