Vista vs. Belkin Router - security negotiations

Oaker 17:12 24 Mar 08

Hi there,

just wondering whether anybody else has come across the same problem and might have found a solution.
Hardware Belkin 54 g ADSL Model with Wireless - G Router (F5D7632-4)
HP Laptop with Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Software
Microsoft VISTA Basic

I had to manually set up the wireless network. However, when it comes to security settings, I could chose WPA-PSK with TKIP, but when I entered the pass-phrase and clicked ok, and wanted to connect - no success. Upon inspecting the properties again, I found the pass-phrase had reversed to some 8 character string (mine is way longer). For some reason I can't get Vista to use my pass-phrase and so it won't connect.

I was advised to look for a firmware upgrade, but then found various messages on this forum not to touch the upgrades with stories of the terminal demise of other peoples routers?

Any advice much appreciated

Oaker

P.s.: Just spotted that natskyr seems to have similar probs with slightly different hardware?

Kemistri 17:37 24 Mar 08

I can tell you that your PSK did not get reverted to an 8-character string; Windows operating systems have obfuscated all passwords from XP onwards. I didn't know that anyone was still getting caught out by that.

ambra4 18:40 24 Mar 08

Download the PDF file first one on the list will show you how to set up vista to your wireless router

Just change the SSID name to yours

click here

You can also take a read at this site on the correct set up for vista

click here

If still can not connect go into the Network and Sharing Centre

Click Customise

Click Merge or Delete Network Locations

Click continue and then highlight and delete profile and start afresh

Oaker 21:50 24 Mar 08

Hi there,

thanks, but not very helpful. If Vista is simply obvuscating a longer string why isn't it matching the PSK - believe me it, I tried various times...

O.

Kemistri 22:05 24 Mar 08

It was intended to be informative. Given that you can't type my screen-name correctly, I recommend that you check for typing errors in your PSK. Copy and paste it from a file.

You didn't mention what firewall you use, but I'll assume that it is configured to prompt you about new LAN connections.

harps1h 01:04 26 Mar 08

i use a belkin with vista and found there was no problem with security and router setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…