Vista Very Slow to Boot

onthelimit1 11:47 AM 26 Sep 11

Dell Inspiron 1501, 2Gb RAM. After inputting the password, takes 15 - 20 mins to boot (welcome screen), then runs OK. Google not much help. Before I do a fresh install, anyone any ideas, please?

Graphicool1 12:05 PM 26 Sep 11

Did it just start like this suddenly or has it been getting increasingly slow over a period of time?

Does the slow period start prior to reaching Windows or after?

Does it run ok once it's booted?

Does your version of Dell include the Full System Diagnostic/ If so have run it, I believe it's accessed via F12 at boot up.

I guess you've already run all the usual checks... Anti-Virus, Malware, Spyware etc.

System Restore, back before it started.

Graphicool1 12:17 PM 26 Sep 11

I have to add, from the searches I've done, this is a recurring problem with Dell and usually leans toward a faulty HDD.

onthelimit1 13:36 PM 26 Sep 11

Thanks for your response. I'm told it has been a progressive slow down. It initially boots at a normal speed, it's after the request for a password that it's so slow. It does run normally once fully booted. CCleaner, MBAM and defrag. Most start-up progs disabled. I'll check the diagnostics when I next get my hands on it. interesting about the HDD - it passed chkdsk OK, but I'll run the Seagate tests as well.

Graphicool1 17:43 PM 26 Sep 11

Also, when next you get into Windows check the event log.

From what you're saying, it would seem that someone other than you is using it. How about a Defrag and Reg Clean.

onthelimit1 18:17 PM 26 Sep 11

Yes, a mate in the pub! As I mentioned, CCleaner and defrag have been done.

Graphicool1 19:05 PM 26 Sep 11

Yes, but CCleaner only skims the surface.

How about...

sfc /scannow

What is the OS?

For Windows 7...Click Here

Graphicool1 19:38 PM 26 Sep 11

Sorry, I see now it's Vista, run...

sfc /scannow

From the command (cmd) prompt.

onthelimit1 20:31 PM 26 Sep 11

Thanks, I'll give it a try at the weekend.

onthelimit1 11:23 AM 07 Oct 11

scannow seems to have done the trick. Booting from cold in a shade over 2 mins. Also managed to get rid of an annoying 'battery can't be charged' message on boot by flashing the BIOS with an update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know