Vista Vanish

belcanto 17:35 28 Nov 07

Hi there-a colleague at work has got a relatively new PC, unfortunately just recently even though the laptop turns on, she cannot see anything on the screen. PC world have offered to help with data recovery is she's prepard to shell out £100 smackers.Has a cable to do with the monitor become detached somehow do you reckon or can it be something else.

I have offerd to bring in my own laptop and a network cable/usb cable and try to get files she wants to keep. She does not mind using the recovery disks so long as she can keep her pics, music, etc.

TIA

Belcanto

woodchip 17:54 28 Nov 07

Get a new drive and fit it, take the old one out then take it back to PCWORLD and tell them to fix it under warranty. The old drive can be put into a USB 2.5ins caddy and all the Docs etc recovered off it in another computer

SANTOS7 18:42 28 Nov 07

even though the laptop turns on, she cannot see anything on the screen..

Has all the atributes of a failed backlight or inverter.

As lappy screens are not self illuminating they need a third party source of light namely a backlight....

SANTOS7 18:43 28 Nov 07

click here

forgot the link, similar to these in the link...

skidzy 22:49 28 Nov 07

Just a quick point and not to rule out Santos and Woodchips ideas.

Before you start removing the drive,try tapping F8 to get into safemode...Vista has a repair option.

If the lappy will not boot into safemode and still shows the same signs (no screen)...then of course remove the drive and follow Woodchips advice.

skidzy 22:50 28 Nov 07

One point i should make !!!

If you remove the drive,you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

SANTOS7 22:53 28 Nov 07

and what do points make!!!

skidzy 22:57 28 Nov 07

Hopefully a new drive SANTOS7 :-))

belcanto 11:54 29 Nov 07

Dear all,

Thanks for the support given so far, I have tried the f8 trick and no joy, also I cannot remove the drive as I do not have a replacement. Instead I will unplug one of the work monitors and use that cable instead. With a bit of luck it should be possible to then use my thumb drive and start to move the files and folders she wants off her laptop prior to using the restore disks.

Will keep you all posted as to how it goes

TIA

Belcanto

woodchip 14:03 29 Nov 07

You could rem,ove the Drive use a caddy to get files off then refit the drive and take it back under warranty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…