Vista - upgrade from XP or clean install

HIT any key 16:37 08 Jun 07

When considering an upgrade to Vista I am wondering about the relative merits of an upgrade from XP professional or a virgin install.

Certainly, my XP system is very dirty and needs a clean up. Would a Vista upgrade build a spanking new clean registry with only the copies of the required entries?

On the other hand, when I went to XP, I found programs that would run on an upgraded system but could not be installed cleanly. This would push me to the upgrade route. Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 08 Jun 07
  xania 16:55 08 Jun 07

There's a standard response to this which you have implied in your question. ALways take the opportunity to run a clean installation to get rid of all the chaff that's hanging about. Upgrading an existing system has no benefit. There's virtually no time saving and any problems you current have, including many you don't know you have, will be in your new system. Have your old install media to hand so that you can prove to the system that you have the right to upgrade, and install friom scratch.

Pine Man 17:01 08 Jun 07

I don't think it is a straightforward as others would have it.

I did a clean install and found a number of items didn't work under Vista. However before doing the clean install I did check out if Vista would run on my XP machine and all but one item was shown to be able to work correctly, which begs the question that I might have been better off if I had upgraded. In fact one company told me their product wouldn't work under Vista but would work on a Vista upgraded XP machine!

If you have the time, and inclination, why don't you try an upgrade and see how your stuff works. If it doesn't you could then go for a clean install.

Bazz2000 17:11 08 Jun 07

I am currently testing out vista, so I have partitioned 40gb for vista and installed it on there while still keeping the old xp on another partition. That way its like a cowards way!!! If a program that i need wont run ot i find any other glitch, i can reboot into the old xp and use it from there.
I would recommend a clean install but make sure anything you need is backed up.
Ive not been using vista long enough to recommend the change in the first place but so far ive found its nothing special.

HIT any key 10:52 09 Jun 07

I guess I will take the chicken way and install a test Vista (clean) first and see what will not run. I guess I need to know what will not install under native Vista anyway for the future.

The other option, if I have problems, is to install a clean XP with the programs drivers I need and then upgrade.

Personally, I have no great need to move to Vista and it is probably a bit early (let others sort out the incompatibilities) but, as I have a number of things that are slowly degrading from a dirty system (registry bloat, autorun does not work and none of the many fixes solves the problem etc.) I need to do something. As I will probably do a clean install anyway I will probably bite the bullet and go to Vista (at least in parallel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5