Vista upgrade= blue screen of death

Wulfrune 13:27 19 Sep 07

I've just tried to upgrade from xp pro 32 bit to vista ultimate 32 bit. It takes hours..... I got to the final furlong at 58% and then it just blue screen of death'd me.

I had to roll back to xp and I got a message saying either some software I was trying to install... or so hardware has failed... SO HELPFUL.

I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 3200 with 2 gig of ram... any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Wulfrune 13:38 20 Sep 07

no one?

A-Nonymous 13:40 20 Sep 07

This sometimes happens when you try to upgrade install instead of doing a clean install.

Best thing to do if you REALLY want Vista is to back up your files and do a clean install. If I were you I would stay with XP for the time being.

A-Nonymous 13:41 20 Sep 07

If the above doesnt work, you probably have a hardware problem.

avesnes1 13:54 20 Sep 07

Have you thought about the possibility of dual booting.

Also, it is possible to use the upgrade disk firstly to clean install (without entering the product code and taking advantage of the 30 day trial) and then "upgrading" the clean install (that's when you enter your upgrade product code).

Google vista+dual boot and you'll find many sites showing you how it's done, including how to partition if you have only one hard drive.

Wulfrune 10:28 29 Sep 07

I sorted it in the end.

It was due to the fact that I was trying to upgrade from Windows xp pro 32 bit to Vista 64 bit... it didn't like it at all and just plain sat down on me.

Simple answer in the end

Thanks to all those who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017