Vista Upgrade

She1 20:49 14 Jan 08

I have just bought the Vista upgrade disk to replace my XP Pro. As one of the options was format the hard drive for a clean install I did it that way. It appears to function fine but something seems missing when installing printer etc. It says the program has stopped working. I tried re-installing but the error OxO occurs. I then tried re-installing XP but the install option was greyed out. Can any one rescue me?

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 14 Jan 08

Do you have an XP Pro CD? If so, can you boot with it?

If you are trying to install XP from within Vista, the install option will be greyed out.

She1 21:04 14 Jan 08

I do have an XP pro disk and I did boot with it but install greyed out. I did a clean install in the first place because the Pc was clogged up with rubbish. If I could install XP then do the upgrade I hoped it would solve problems

cream. 21:13 14 Jan 08

You need to format the drive with a third party utility program. Use kill disk click here

Download and burn the dos iso image one.

Start the computer with the kill disk cd in. Select the correct drive and format.

Restart with the XP disk in and load XP. make sure you create a partition for Vista.

When XP has loaded, restart the computer with the Vista cd in and load Vista on the seperate partition.

She1 21:22 14 Jan 08

I`ll try it now! Cheers

She1 21:23 14 Jan 08

It doesn't matter I have the upgrade as long as I re-install XP?

She1 21:27 14 Jan 08

Just another question: I just tried to boot on XP disk and it has done it. I am now re-formatting with XP. Do I install Xp then upgrade?

cream. 21:29 14 Jan 08

'It doesn't matter I have the upgrade as long as I re-install XP?'

cream. 21:31 14 Jan 08

You have to have either a seperate partition or a slave drive on to which you load Vista.

If you don't have one, create it as XP loads onto your system.

If you don't know how to, post back.

She1 22:05 14 Jan 08

Hi, I meant that once XP is installed, I can then re-install Vista using the upgrade option. I don't need to be able to dual boot so I havn't created another partition. Its at 60% format now

cream. 22:17 14 Jan 08

Ok.:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…