vista update stuck in loop

jarvis10@btinternet.com 23:50 23 Sep 08

hello, a friend called for my advice, it's above me because it's vista doing the i know best thing, it said updates are available, clicked install, it's stuck on creating restore point, cant kill the process obviously, cant click stop installation, if you reboot it says installing updates, if you cold power off when you turn back on guess what?
i really dont want to go out now, any ideas?

jarvis10@btinternet.com 00:05 24 Sep 08

it seems to be confused finding it's own restore system, obviously as with so many vista features there's no time out or end hung program and task manager and command prompt orders get ignored, so it will in effect stay like this forever. another xp sale coming up i think.

birdface 08:41 24 Sep 08

Will it start in safe mode.And then last good configuration.or cancel automatic updates.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 10:35 24 Sep 08

morning buteman, it did, the 250 gb c drive was half full. i booted to safe mode and disabled system restore, this reduced the c drive to about 9%! rebooted into normal and enabled a very reduced system restore, the updates installed, it was getting stuck and lost (hardly surprisingly) at the creating a restore point, i have never used system restore so have never come across this before all seems ok now and vista ultimate extra's are installed..... a game.... called tinker... but thats a whole new thread! thanks for the reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…