Vista uninstall problems-Dual boot with XP

montypuss 16:52 17 Mar 08

I set up a new partition and loaded Vista -- AOK.
For unknown reasons, the OS selection screen now does not respond, the time counts down and starts XP which was the default.

Trying to reinstall/repair Vista does not work... get as far as the Product Key screen and hangs.
Have tried various proposals:
1. bcdedit-- can't be found from "Run"
2. typing D:\boot\bootsect.exe/nt52 ALL/force into RUN and rebooting with Vista Disk in D:
Boot message says: "Not system disk- change disc and hit any key." So can't do that.
If I re-format the Vista partition, will I be able to boot into XP as presumably the OS selector is in Vista.

Any other proposals folks....??

montypuss 19:21 19 Mar 08

The OS selector which loads when you have dual OSs, doesn't allow selection. Whatever is default loads after the countdown.
VistaBootPRO (free download) allows change of default which then loads Ok but without the selection option.

There are possibly 2 versions of the OS selector as the countdown goes through twice...
How do I repair the OS selector....?/
thanks...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…