Vista Ultimate mail and download problems

Nessie 16:08 PM 06 Oct 11

2 or 3 days ago windows mail stopped downloading emails. Firefox, Mail, and various other problems sometimes work or come up with not respoding. If I close it after not responding it wont then open again untill rebooted. I have tried to do a virus check with BT net protect plus but it stops after 60 files. I have tried to download avast and avg antivirus but they wont download. I have tried using system restore for 30th September and 7th September but that does not fix the problem. I have tried to go into safe mode pressing F8 but instead of the usual list of options it just asks what I want to boot from DVD or Hard Drive. I press Hard Drive and PC starts as normal. I have put in the set up disk and it freezes ath the point where it asks to check for updates in the intial checks. I have used the scan now feature in command prompt and it found that there were no errors. I have checked internet connection and am connected and can browse if firefox starts up and still getting my normal speed. Any help would be great thanks

lotvic 16:55 PM 06 Oct 11

You could try some of the suggestions on and see if any work for you.

Nessie 17:09 PM 06 Oct 11

Thanks. will give them a try

bazt 20:26 PM 06 Oct 11

Nessie have you had any updates downloaded to your system, Firefox has been conflickting on my machine afer the latest download. I uninstalled the latest and put back the old on and the sytem now works OK, I am using Vista.

Nessie 13:24 PM 07 Oct 11

I think i have. what is the current version and how do i put it back to previous version. thanks

Nessie 22:40 PM 07 Oct 11

Uninstalled firefox but still no joy. even internet explorer does not load. can't download any files. re install i think

rdave13 22:50 PM 07 Oct 11

Start- computer- right click c: drive - properties- tools - check drives for error- and tick both boxes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know