Vista startup problems

JOHN232 17:52 28 Oct 10

I'm running vista on a relatively new desktop. No previous problems, but now it just does a 'crash dump' on me, and then fails to find a solution when it does a 'startup repair'. Any advice?

birdface 17:58 28 Oct 10

Have you tried to see if it will start in safe mode.

JOHN232 18:36 28 Oct 10

I've tried safe mode, it gets as far as 'loading windows files' then it's another 'crash dump', and I'm back to where I started.

Jwbjnwolf 18:48 28 Oct 10

What age, model,make is your laptop?

JOHN232 19:16 28 Oct 10

It's a desktop, 10months old, Acer Aspire AX1300. The vista was pre loaded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 28 Oct 10

Remove drive connect to another machine
extract your data (docs pics etc.)
refit and do a factory reset

if still no good take it back under guarantee Repairers will just try and reset it anyway (losing your data in the process)

JOHN232 22:01 28 Oct 10

Can anyone advise how to go about doing a factory reset? I don't have anything on there that I need to save.

Jwbjnwolf 23:16 28 Oct 10

when you first power on the pc where it shows acer logo press alt+f10 and tap f10 like mad
lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:17 28 Oct 10

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
4. Click “OK” to continue
5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

Jwbjnwolf 23:29 28 Oct 10

if there is another way to get to hidden partition if you don't have erecovery and if anyone knows how I would love to know
click here
visit here if you know as i am in a bit of a mess as well.

Jwbjnwolf 23:31 28 Oct 10

well i know for a fact that there is as win 7 done it for me so i had vista back but how with out getting windows disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant