Vista startup - now delays

Andanotherthing 17:52 30 Dec 08

Hi

My comp is delaying startup on Vista Home Premium for about 2 whole minutes with the Microsoft + bar logo on screen. This is new. Is it the result of a recent windows update? Any ideas gratefully considered

Thanks

dobie2 18:12 30 Dec 08

Run system restore, and restore the PC to a previous date prior to your PC problem.

Debs

dobie2 18:12 30 Dec 08

Run system restore, and restore the PC to a previous date prior to your PC problem.

Debs

Andanotherthing 12:07 31 Dec 08

Thanks Debs for the idea. Took it back as far as SR would allow - about 18th Dec - still the same. I got the impression it was the Vista update to fix Explorer that started it - but I am not sure. My suspicions have now fallen on my logitech stx camera as this lights up at the end of the 2 minutes just before the users screen appears. I may uninstall and re-install it. I wondered if anyone else was having problems like this after a Windows update? Thanks

Andanotherthing 15:55 31 Dec 08

Have uninstalled and re-installed the camera - still a two-minute delay before Users page comes up!

Clapton is God 17:03 31 Dec 08

Use msconfig to disable all the startup programs/processes you don't need.

This will help you to decide click here

harps1h 18:53 31 Dec 08

"My suspicions have now fallen on my logitech stx camera as this lights up at the end of the 2 minutes just before the users screen appears"

try disconnecting the camera from the system before you boot up (that is if it is connected)

Andanotherthing 19:20 31 Dec 08

Thanks for the suggestion Harps1h - but I get the impression the hang is before the startup programmes kick in - as I said - it is before the users page comes up (we have 3 users on this home comp. It is a useful resource though and I ought to clean up the startup menu anyway...!

Andanotherthing 19:24 31 Dec 08

Thanks for the suggestion Harps1h - but I get the impression the hang is before the startup programmes kick in - as I said - it is before the users page comes up (we have 3 users on this home comp. It is a useful resource though and I ought to clean up the startup menu anyway...!

gazzaho 13:36 01 Jan 09

Did you notice the slow boot after perhaps adding USB external hard drives? My computer takes about 2 minutes or maybe 3 to boot with 3 external USB hard drives and 2 internal IDE drives connected.

When I disconnect them all and only leave the SATA boot drive connected the boot time is a lot faster, under a minute I would guess. I've no idea why this happens though, it never happened on my old XP machine, the USB drives seem to take longer to access in vista too although the transfer speeds seem to be the same.

If you've added any drives or devices it would be an idea to disconnect them and see if the problem still exists.

Andanotherthing 16:44 01 Jan 09

Thanks for the idea gazzaho. I do have a usb hard drive but this was always fine and has never caused a problem. I will disconnect it and try though as I suspect a windows update may have added a new filter and the hard drive may now be a problem when it wasn't before...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant