vista start up

stephen1978 18:38 22 Mar 09

hi i have a toshiba laptop A300 running on windows vista my problem is the start up is very slow can anyone tell me why ???

Slamdunka 18:41 22 Mar 09

This could be becuase if you have an external drive in the computer like an ipod it will be trying to boot that virsus the computer take out the external drive if there is any and it should boot faster. You may also have a large amount of processes going, or just a small amount of ram.

mfletch 18:42 22 Mar 09

Check what is starting at start-up

Start>type in the search box msconfig then click on the start-up tab

Clapton is God 18:43 22 Mar 09

Probably trying to load too many unnecessary background processes.

Use msconfig to stop some and this click here to tell you which can be safely stopped

mooly 18:46 22 Mar 09

How slow is slow ? How much RAM have you. You need 2GB or more really. My Acer notebook takes around 80 seconds to fully load all applications.

stephen1978 07:49 23 Mar 09

i have 3gb of ram the laptop takes about 2-3 mins to load

mooly 08:32 23 Mar 09

That does sound a little slow. My Acer used to take that with 1GB RAM, increased it to 2GB a few weeks back. Took 75 secs this AM, I timed it. Thats for everything to load and to get online including Vistas sidebar.
Anti virus progs can slow things down. What are you using ? I have defender turned OFF and just use FSecure Internet security package. With that disabled it's even quicker.
If you go into "control panel" (classic view) and select "Windows Defender" and then "Tools" at the top, then "software explorer" it will show the programs that run at start up.

JRson 09:15 23 Mar 09

Are there too many things in your system drives?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…