Vista SP2 available

Why wont it work 14:53 26 May 09

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the final release of Vista SP2 is available to the public today. Doesn't look as though there are any massive changes, but there are some. click here

Or you can download it here click here

I have just installed it on my laptop, but it kept blue screening on restart until I removed my external hard drive.

gengiscant 15:22 26 May 09

Thanks,will give it a go.

rawprawn 16:07 26 May 09

When I try to download and Run, I get "Data is invalid" any ideas?

rawprawn 16:15 26 May 09

Running now, I disconnected my External Drive first. Thank you.

rawprawn 16:16 26 May 09

No, it packed up again "Data is Invalid"

Pine Man 16:29 26 May 09

This is the standalone version of SP2 and I suspect it might create the same problems as the standalone version of SP1 caused for many users.

As before it's probably better to wait for the specific download for your PC offered on Windows Update - I would suggest.

rawprawn 16:33 26 May 09

Agreed, I will wait for the auto update.

gengiscant 17:02 26 May 09

Beware of this,had to get into safe mode to get the dam thing out.

Why wont it work 17:03 26 May 09

Yes, I think it's probably best to wait for it to appear on windows update. I'm just one of those people who likes to try new things though. However, erring on the side of caution, I've only tried it one pc and despite the initial hitch it seems to be fine (he says).

rawprawn 17:32 26 May 09

Join the well subscrbed "Tinkerers Club" ;))

chub_tor 17:38 26 May 09

On a whim I decided to install Vista SP2 onto my dual booting desktop, the download went smoothly, the installation went well and it re-booted into my normal screen. So far so good and then I did a manual re-boot and all hell broke loose.

Instead of booting into Vista I was greeted with a white on black message saying that CHKDSK needed to run and I would be advised to let it do so, so I did. After doing all its checks I was left with a message at the very end (5 minutes later) that there was insufficient space for the MFT and that CHKDSK was stopped.

But up came my desktop and all seemed well except none of my internet browsers would work, lots of messages from programmes saying that I needed to run CHKDSK, so I did. Again and again and again. I even tried the XP partition but got exactly the same message (this time on a nice blue and white screen).

Finally it seems to have cleared itself and CHKDSK has completed its checks and presumably fixed the 13,931 errors where it needed to "Insert an Index Entry with ID SDH and SII into File 9" - whatever that means. So far it has booted up cleanly twice and I am keeping my fingers crossed, incidentally adding SP2 wiped out all my Restore Points.

I think that I will wait a while for the official update before I put it on the wife's laptop!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…