Vista sp1 crashes computer 3 times

zwarble 19:00 22 May 08

I have tried to load sp1 in vista 3 times and every time it seriously crashes to having to do a format and re-installing vista.It shows a blue screen for about a second with something about pooling and dumping memory. Any ideas?

Fingees 19:05 22 May 08

If SP1 does not download automatically from microsoft update, then it is not ready for your machine.

Microsoft is only downloaded automatically as the SP1 gets gradually updated until it suits your computer.

I know you can download it other ways, but it if better to wait until microsoft has updated SP1 to suit your machine

skidzy 20:27 22 May 08

This behavior occurs to help prevent kernel memory dump files from being written to a page file where the memory dump file is larger than the page file. This behavior helps eliminate incomplete memory dump files. Additionally, this behavior does not imply that the memory dump file is complete or valid.

WORKAROUND
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To work around this behavior, modify the registry so that memory dump files are written even if the system memory size is larger than the maximum size that is set for the page file. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start Start button , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type IgnorePagefileSize, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click IgnorePagefileSize, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor.

Sp1 is not offered to all for various reasons,i was not offered sp1 due to the Nvidia graphics card bugs,however i still downloaded the update and installed with no problems to date.

Though i should add,i had made an Acronis image first and created a restore point...just in case !!

zwarble 22:19 22 May 08

I will try your method skidsy and let you know if it works, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…