vista slowed pc right down

lakeman 10:46 24 Nov 09

i had cause recently to upgrade from xp to vista and now altho the pc runs ok, when it comes to doing things like burning a dvd say, it is gruelling to say the least , from 5mins in xp to 5 hours in vista, question is do i need more memory(768mb) or a new graphics card or both to speed things up.if its the card can anyone recomend a card for this system.."intel celeron 3.06ghz...integrated graphics(sis 651c)...768mb ram..150gb hd..i know its basic but you dont know til you ask.

Woolwell 10:57 24 Nov 09

You need more memory. 1Gb is really the minimum for Vista and more than 2 Gb is much better. Personally I would have gone to Windows 7 which is reportedly less demanding.

lakeman 11:14 24 Nov 09

think this pc can take 2gb mem ,would that do the trick in terms of making simple processes quicker.another point of tedium with this is simply dragging say an mp3 file from one folder to another seems to take an age,... is a dedicated graphics card the way to go also , nor for gaming just to make pc a little faster or "normal"

Woolwell 12:05 24 Nov 09

Try the RAM first.

Woolwell 12:16 24 Nov 09

Have a look at this site for RAM advice click here

lakeman 12:43 24 Nov 09

that was a useful link , ty for that, i will upgrade my mem first and then if necessary a new card...thanks...my system is 4 yrs old and best suited to xp so i might consider going back also..id say thats resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5