Vista: the sleep button, updates, and shuting down

Phrixos 15:03 20 Dec 07

Since I built my new (Vista) rig about a month ago (regrets, regrets!) I have been getting automatic updates EVERY DAY--sometimes, twice a day!

This means that if I want to go into Sleep mode, the computer installs the update, then SHUTS DOWN-so making a mockery of any "Sleep" mode.

Of course, I can (and do, often) restart the computer first, which installs the update, at which I can then go into sleep mode--but what a waste of time! (Alternatively I could disable automatic updates, but then what is the point of having to disable one utility simply to avail of another?)

What a nuisance.

What I want is a button that installs the update(s) then RESETS the computer, THEN goes into Sleep mode. What about it, Microsoft? (I presume you are watching.)

The whole thing leaves me wondering if I actually am getting daily updates, or if something more sinister is going on, like a virus. (Nothing is showing up on my scans.)

Comments, anybody?

Phrixos

anskyber 15:12 20 Dec 07

Updates every day?

If they are microsoft updates then I would be surprised. My defender updates come in about 3-4 max per week. Other updates are on the Microsoft monthly cycle.

Have you checked your update history to see what they are?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant