vista shutting down when not in use

Newuser1280 15:55 23 Mar 08

Help needed please. I have a new Acer computer with Vista on it. Unlike my old computer (not acer)running XP, when I set it to hibernate I cannot restart it by using any key, but neither can I restart it with the power button, without holding it down for 5 seconds then switching it on again - when the computer asks if I want to run windows in normal mode because it wasn't shut down properly. As it also seemed to have an annoying habit of shutting itself off if not being used I have set the power options to 'Never' for the display, hardrive and hibernate. Is this a software fault, or have I not set one of the power options properly?

anskyber 15:57 23 Mar 08

No. It was an issue with some who use the power saving function.

Soon you should be offered the SP1 through updates which includes a fix for hibernation issues.

Pineman100 15:59 23 Mar 08

My wife's Packard Bell laptop also runs Vista. If it's left switched on but unused for some time, it also hibernates.

To recover it from hibernation, you just give the power button a quick stab. But it then seems to take ages before it "comes alive" again. Are you sure that you're giving yours long enough before you resort to switching it off?

Pineman100 16:01 23 Mar 08

Anskyber was posting while I was typing! His looks the much more likely explanation, but it's probably worth just checking mine out.

Newuser1280 18:05 23 Mar 08

Thanks for the suggestions but I've already got SP1 installed and short pushes on the power button don't seem to work either. Any more suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple