Vista and sharing W98 printer

Dave22Fair 19:56 21 Jun 10

Hi, I have a Vista and W98 laptop with a printer connected to the latter. The printer is not supported by Vista but I wondered if I could print from Vista via the W98 laptop.
Ta
Dave

woodchip 19:59 21 Jun 10

Yes if you network them, that is the computer using your BB router, and windows network wizard

woodchip 20:00 21 Jun 10

PS when you network them they have to be all switched on when networking them, and using them including Printer

Woolwell 20:04 21 Jun 10

I thought that the Vista machine would ask for a driver for the printer.

Dave22Fair 20:29 21 Jun 10

The printer is pre USB connection and the laptop USB only. Anyway, the printer maker Epson does not support any drivers, so it looks like I have to get my network working and share the printer. At the moment I am in a room with access via wireless to the network. The router is in a different room but I have the W98 laptop directly connected via LAN cable to the Vista laptop (but not network connection) and the printer connected to the W98 laptop. Do I have to take the W98 and the printer to be next to the router with a direct connection or can I work through peer to peer and then to the printer?
Dave

woodchip 21:34 21 Jun 10

The 98 comp and printer would be best connected by Ethernet cable. Vista Wireless

Dave22Fair 21:41 21 Jun 10

I currently have the printer connected to the 98 comp and the 98 comp then connected to the Vista comp by an ethernet cable. Vista os wireless to the router. Is this what you mean?

woodchip 22:40 21 Jun 10

I would have connected the 98 with Ethernet to router vista on its own wireless

Dave22Fair 22:50 21 Jun 10

Okay and thanks for that. I suppose I need to use Vista's 'Network and Sharing Centre' to negotiate the connection to the W98 comp and thus the printer?

Ashrich 00:53 22 Jun 10

As Woolwell says , the Vista machine will still need a driver for the old printer , and as there isn't one , it won't work

Ashley

Ashrich 00:59 22 Jun 10

Of course , another way to do it is to network the 2 PC's and transfer the file to be printed to the Win98 pc , say in to my documents , and then start the print from inside that pc , as opposed printing directly from the Vista pc .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos