Vista sfc /scannow - No System Disc

dogbreath1 17:41 11 Sep 10

My Mrs has a laptop running Vista SP2 and it's started to have a number of different problems.

I'd like to run sfc /scannow but the machine wasn't supplied with a system disc.

Any way to get round this?

mooly 18:01 11 Sep 10

Have you run sfc, and it has asked for a disc for a problem it can't fix ?

Normally it runs OK without in Vista and replaces any corrupt files from it's own "system32" folder.
Only if there's a problem and the file can't be repaired does it prompt for a disc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 11 Sep 10
  dogbreath1 18:12 11 Sep 10

Thanks for the information.

Didn't know that. Will try to run system file checker and see what happens.

dogbreath1 18:36 11 Sep 10

@Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Thanks, will check that out.

Now getting the message 'Verification 49% complete. Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.'

mooly 18:56 11 Sep 10

This is where you may have problems then... if you Google "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" you'll find many and varied responses.

Is it worth doing a "disk check" ?

click here

I would do that I think at some point anyway, and I know this always always sounds a cop out, but, sometimes a reinstall is the most satisfactory solution... most laptops have a hidden partition that allows it all to be put back to day one... just back up all your data first.

dogbreath1 19:07 11 Sep 10

Disk check completed without error during a reboot.

mooly 19:16 11 Sep 10

I don't know what to suggest now as regards repairing your current installation... more drastic repairs need a disc to do a repair or "upgrade" installation to replace your problem OS as far as I know.

dogbreath1 19:32 11 Sep 10

I could order a system disc from MS...but the battery on the laptop is beginning to fail as well.

Might be an idea to get a new lappie with Windows 7...and get rid of Vista which I don't like anyway!

birdface 20:54 11 Sep 10

Try e-bay and just type in repair disc for Vitsa lots on there for about £2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…