vista with service pack 2 - windows update service not running

LAPTOPBABE 08:30 AM 02 Dec 11

Hi My neighbour has given me his laptop to sort out and I have discovered it is refusing to do any windows updates. It says that the windows update service is not running so cannot update. I have checked as per instructions on the net that the service is set correctly and it seems to be. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this. I did find trojan viruses and malware on it and I have got rid of all of that i think.

birdface 08:34 AM 02 Dec 11
  LAPTOPBABE 08:42 AM 02 Dec 11

Sorry i should have said i have tried this and it comes back as there is no problem with the update process, it didn't at first, it said there was a problem it couldn't fix but after i got rid of all the viruses etc it said there was no errors, but it is not working.

birdface 10:24 AM 02 Dec 11

Go into services and make sure Windows Update is set to automatic.

Also make sure Windows update is set to automatic and not Manual when trying to download updates.

birdface 10:52 AM 02 Dec 11

Now found this one but it is for W/7 but may work for Vista.

I would only try it as a last resort if nothing else works.

birdface 11:12 AM 02 Dec 11

You could also try sfc /scannow in command prompt.

or have a look through this to see if anything helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…