vista ram vanished

Bazz2000 23:17 21 Jan 10

Hi people,
I have a weird problem. I have a laptop with vista on it, all factory spec. Theres 3 gig of ram in there, 1 x 1gb strip and a 2 gig strip. I have physically checked. THe problem is vista only tells me there is 510 mb of ram there, and everything is so slow. This is a recent problem and I just dont get it. Ive checked in the bios and it shows the full 3 gig and ive run the bios memory check on it and it passes. Any help appreciated thx guys

jamesd1981 00:07 22 Jan 10

try running a system info tool like pc wizard or a good accurate one called speccy, if they also read 3 gb you might want consider a virus, try running a few different malware and anti-virus scanners, id suggest windows malicious software removal tool, microsoft security essentials, malwarebytes, iobit security 360, if its still the same after these it might be worth a clean install.

OTT_B 00:25 22 Jan 10

You can try manually setting the max memory.

Start Menu - Run - msconfig

Select the Boot tab. Click Advanced Options button and Check the "Maximum Memory" option. Enter 3072 into the box below. click OK, then Ok again. Reboot.

Bazz2000 02:51 22 Jan 10

Thanks guys, I ran msconfig and the box was ticked that limited it to 512. I unticked the box and job done. Have a pat on the head :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant