Vista Password Problem

peterleay 12:36 07 Jul 08

As from yesterday, and for no apparent reason, the log-in on my opening Vista page told me my password was incorrect, and invited me to change it. When I tried to change it it told me to insert the password backup disc - no idea what that is! It will let me access the pc via the 'Guest' log in, but then cannot access my documents etc. Through the guest log in [not p/wd protected] I accessed my p/wd protected email a/c ok. Then logged off from 'Guest' and then successfully logged on through my own name. Any ideas what's going on, please? Also, do you have to access your pc through Vista log on page or can you disable this and get straight into your pc?
Thanks.

BurrWalnut 14:46 07 Jul 08

Windows Orb (Start), type “control userpasswords2” (type the space but not the quotes) and press Enter. Now untick “Users must enter a user name and password......”.

kalignorgna 16:12 07 Jul 08

sound like a vrus might have goten on to your system as this is not a conon fault in vista (as far as I know of anyway) on your gest acount downloaded one of these:
1 spybot S&D 1.5 (type it in to goggle click the one that says safernetworking in address area
2 hackthis google it or go to majorgeeks to download it
3 NOD32 trail the best AV in the would at mo acording to av comparison web site
the last is bitdeffender i think it has a online scan but unsre how to get to it as the mo

all these are legit AVs and work wounders

kalignorgna 16:14 07 Jul 08

oh also check that your PSW don't expire after a set amount as may be this vista is notorious for rubish like that

peterleay 08:22 10 Jul 08

Many thanks for all your replies. I scanned and the pc was clean. I disabled the password entry to Vista, whhich is realy useful. But I have to confess, shamefaced, that it was solved by accident. I noticed that when I typed a document that the letter "n" was missing - unless I hit it hard. When I looked at the keyboard there was a piece of chocolate lodged under the letter "n" [which features in my passwords]thus preventing its operation. Move the chocolate and problem solved!! OOps. Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…