Vista or What

During Bootup the computer takes about 5 minutes to finish the bootup (Before the MS Windows Logo comes up).

It's specs are:
1.6GHz Core2 Dou CPU
1GB of DDR2 RAM (I know it a little low for Vista)
MS Vista HP
160GB HDD
Make: Philips Freevents
Bought it 9 months ago.
Help!

Pineman100 18:55 01 Sep 09

Here are a few thoughts:

1. Do you have a lot of applications starting in your startup folder? If so, do you really need them all? I suggest you run msconfig>startup and deselect any items that you don't really need to be running in the background.

2. Have you got a lot of software loaded on the computer that you don't really need? If so, uninstall anything spurious.

3. When did you last do a bit of housework (for example with CCleaner), and then a defrag? After you've done 2. above, it might be a good idea.

4. What security software are you running? Is it taking a long time to appear in your System Tray?

5. Did this slow startup happen suddenly, or has it been slowing down little by little? If it was a sudden event, run a full security scan and/or use System Restore to roll the computer back to a date before the problem began.

mooly 18:55 01 Sep 09

Run Disk cleanup.
Clear out temp int files etc. On the IE toolbar go to <tools> <internet options> <browsing history> and delete.
Defrag the HDD
Check in software explorer what programs are running at start up.
Do you have a security package installed and running ? That can nearly double the times depending what's installed.
Vista and 1gb should be up and running in around 2 to 3 minutes I would guess.

mooly 18:56 01 Sep 09

:) lol

Pineman100 18:56 01 Sep 09

And yes, you do need more memory.

Pineman100 18:57 01 Sep 09

You need to be quicker on the draw!!

I was away. It is not my computer. Its a friends computer. I will try all of these. The security is AVG Free 8.5. It happened suddenly. Will runa full scan. Unforanly a RAM upgrade isn't possible.
Keep Replying

brundle 20:26 01 Sep 09

5 minutes before you see the Windows logo during bootup, or 5 minutes to boot to the desktop?

To find out where it's getting stuck if it's the former, boot into Windows, click the start orb and type

msconfig

into the search bar. Press return. Click past the warning if UAC is enabled. Click the boot tab and select NoGUIBoot. OK everything and reboot. Filenames will appear during bootup as Windows loads them - what produces the longest delay?

If it's the latter, follow Pineman 100's advice

Pineman100 15:24 02 Sep 09

Follow brundle's expert advice and post back the answer to his question. He should then be able to help you further.

But if that doesn't resolve matters, given that the problem happened suddenly, I would run a full system scan, then do a System Restore back to a point before the problem started.

As for the RAM, why isn't an upgrade possible? Regardless of the above problem, your friend's computer would certainly benefit from it, at a very modest cost.

A RAM upgrade isn't possibe because it doesn't have any from RAM slots and max supp is only 1GB although you can use ready boost.

Pineman100 16:03 03 Sep 09

The fact that it doesn't have any free RAM slots shouldn't prevent an upgrade. You simply replace the existing memory modules (possibly 2 x 512MB?) with upgraded ones.

Visit the Crucial Memory Scanner website (click here) and allow their tool to scan your computer. It's completely safe and no personal information is taken. It will then advise you exactly what memory upgrade is possible, tell you the cost, and offer you the opportunity to buy the appropriate modules from Crucial (who make good quality memory products).

There are even tutorial videos on the site, showing you how to do the upgrade. It's dead easy - took me 5 minutes. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…