Vista or wait for Windows 7

Kingfisher 19:41 08 Sep 09

Hello, a friend of my Wife's is asking me for advice for a new pc, she is completely new to pc's, I am ok with sorting out spec but not sure whether to advise her to get a Vista pc now, with a possible free Windows 7 upgrade disk or wait for Windows 7.
As I understand it the Windows 7 upgrade Disk will involve a clean reinstall, is that correct. I would welcome anyone's opinion on buying now or waiting
Many Thanks

mgmcc 20:45 08 Sep 09

I honestly believe (though many will disagree) that Vista will go down in history as Microsoft's biggest disaster since Windows ME. The number of users who've reverted to XP, and the lack of uptake by the business sector, is testament to that.

Windows 7 is supposed to address many of the criticisms of Vista and also to be able to run on much less highly specified hardware; the hardware requirements to run Vista were (IMHO) patently absurd.

As Windows 7 is due in October, I'd recommend waiting for that, unless the need for the new PC is urgent.

ol blueeyes 21:01 08 Sep 09

Having used both Vista and Windows 7 I would say wait for Windows 7 it is far superior and more reliable.

Kingfisher 21:07 08 Sep 09

Thankyou to you both for your opinions you have confirmed what I thought, Windows 7 it is, will tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…