vista or anything else.

gidster 14:12 06 Mar 10

im running a acer laptop on vista,but its bloody slow even when i did a reinstall a bit back,it didnt take long to slow up again.someone told me its vista and haveing IE explorer,is this true?if so what do people recommend? i was on xp before this and that was a lot faster.i can be waiting a good 5 mins before i can even think about connecting to the internet some times. plus is it easy to change from vista to something else? and whats the best internet browser? by that i mean faster.

cheers.

ame 14:23 06 Mar 10

Remember your security software might be updating/scanning at startup too, which has a significant effect. Try disabling it temporarily first and see how that works.

GaT7 14:27 06 Mar 10

What's the rest of the spec like: CPU, RAM & hard drive? How much free space do you have on the hard drive, as the lack of enough could cause slow-downs.

"...plus is it easy to change from vista to something else?"

Another option is the newer Windows 7, which you can install just like you did Vista. But this will cost another £75 or so for the Upgrade OEM version click here (retail versions are ~£20 extra).

You could get an Academic version for much less click here, if you're eligible click here. G

northumbria61 14:34 06 Mar 10

I would say it is more likely to be Vista that is slowing things down - however you could try "cleaning" your system - run ccleaner first and remove any programs you no longer use.

click here

If your PC can run Vista it is likely it CAN run Windows 7 but I would advise if you go down that route to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make certain.

click here

You can either buy an UPGRADE or FULL retail version of Windows 7 - Look around for best prices.

Input Overload 14:55 06 Mar 10

I'm a fan of Vista over 7 but Vista does require 2 GIG of RAM to function whereas 7 can get by with less.

OTT_B 14:57 06 Mar 10

Not a perfect review of browser choices, but Chrome could serve you well, especially on an otherwise underpowered laptop:

click here

amonra 15:47 06 Mar 10

I've got an Acer laptop that came with Vista, 'orrible ! slow, did not like it at all. When Win 7 came out I ditched Vista and installed Win 7. What a difference, unbelieveable, loads in under a minute and performs beautifully. Try it !

northumbria61 23:18 06 Mar 10

A lot of posts on here and other forums complaining about slow running pc/laptops whatever the make nearly all using Vista. It speaks for itself it is Vista that causes the majority of problems. That is why so many businesses were offered a free DOWNGRADE back to XP. It is by for the worst O.S Microsoft has ever produced.

Windows 7 (I use 7 Pro 64 bit) different ball game!
I have never had an O.S. that loads so fast, restarts so fast and even shutdown so fast.

Woolwell 23:28 06 Mar 10

Vista's search indexer can seriously slow down a system until it beds down. You can turn it off. If you open the Resource Monitor you will find out what is using your disc.
I do find that Vista can be slow to start.
I've got an Acer laptop with Vista slower than XP to start but then it is quite quick. As already stated the amount of RAM is important.

Re OTT_B's link to browsers - I've tried 4 of them (I avoid Safari as it kept trying to download other progs too) and generally agree with that review. Firefox is slower than Chrome or Opera but is better than IE. I'm not that keen on Chrome possibly because it is too basic (no toolbar add-ons). But toolbars and add-ons do slow things down.

OTT_B 23:28 06 Mar 10

"A lot of posts on here and other forums complaining about slow running pc/laptops whatever the make nearly all using Vista. It speaks for itself it is Vista that causes the majority of problems. That is why so many businesses were offered a free DOWNGRADE back to XP. It is by for the worst O.S Microsoft has ever produced."

Utter rubbish. Most complaints on laptops are about Vsta becuase most laptops sold until recently have Vista on them.

Vista, until the release of Windows 7, was by far and away the best OS that Microsoft had made.

DieSse 00:05 07 Mar 10

"...is it easy to change from vista to something else?"

Yes - it's very easy to change to Linux - and it's free.

Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu, but with improvements, is excellent. I loaded it onto a Lenovo laptop I bought with Vista (in Spain, and Vista was in Spanish, which we didn't want).

Mint installed in one go, with all the hardware working correctly, even the W-Fi, camera and microphone. XP (which we also have on the laptop) needed many drivers to be downloaded, and one at least weas a real PITA to find and install correctly. Win7, also on the laptop, was easier than XP, but also had some issues to get it right.

Mint just worked.

If anyone wonders why we're triple booting, it's the computer club system, and we need to be able to support people with several OSs.

Linux Mint click here

For applications, we have Firefox, Thunderbird, Picasa, Open Office, MS Office2000 (under Wine), Spotify, VLC Media Player,Audacity, and the many others which come on the Mint installation CD.
The software portal now has over 30,000 packages in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac