Vista, Office 2010, device manager empty

faulties 18:11 11 Aug 14

Hi, don't know whether I've got this in the right forum but I'm sure you'll tell me if I need to post it to the Windows forum ;)

I installed MSE, after reading glowing reports, but then couldn't use Office home and student 2010 or my printer/scanner, also the device manager page is empty. I got so annoyed with it I went back to Norton 360. I did uninstall one before I installed the other.

Still can't use office, Office keeps saying it's unlicensed with an error code of 0x8007000D even though it had been licensed for nearly 4 years.

The printer doesn't work either, when I turn it on Windows tries to install the drivers but says that the data is invalid, go to manufactures website and download more drivers. I've done this but Windows still gives same message.

I've looked through lots of Microsoft community pages and not found anything usefull. I've downloaded 'Fixit' and tried to change a registry key or two (can't do that though, it keeps telling me I'm not an administrator).

Can anyone help please? I'm getting a bit desperate without Office.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 11 Aug 14

Easiest option may be to do a system restore back to a time everything was working.

MSE is basic even MS admit that

Norton is expensive and can be problematic but is much better than MSE.

Avira and Avast are the best of the Free Antivirus at present (I prefer Avast personally)

faulties 13:50 12 Aug 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks but I tried that first, there were restore points going back about 10 days before I installed MSE so I took it back to the first one.

It didn't work.

It took the computer back but I still couldn't use Office or the printer. I don't know when device manager started playing up, I came across that after reading some of the Microsoft community pages.

It's looking like I may have to reinstall windows and all my programs. Not a job I'm happy about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac