Vista - nothing but problems...

Snooze64 07:10 06 May 07

I bought my son an Acer 5100 notebook for Christmas which was Windows Vista Home Premium ready, ordered the free upgrade and after 3 months of waiting, loaded it.

The first problem we encountered was that his MSN Messenger 8.1 wouldn't work so had to download a program from the Acer website which worked.

Then he had problems connecting to our wireless broadband even though this was working perfectly before we upgraded.

Vista was working fine when he could get a connection.

Now over the last couple of days he's been unable to use his laptop at all - he gets a Windows recovery page saying that the power was interupted before Windows could load and to insert disc and start over (this doesn't work) Other options are 'Start in Safe mode', a couple of other options I can't remember... 'Start from last good configuration' or 'Start normally'. I've tried the final two of these options but all he gets is a loading page which just sits there for hours.

Any clues?

birdface 07:58 06 May 07

Might be a Firewall problem,You could try uninstalling it,Run C Cleaner then reinstall it,It works sometimes on XP But not sure about Vista,

birdface 08:05 06 May 07

Oops ,It wont start,Sorry,Can you start it in safe mode,Just keep tapping the F8 key when computer is starting,If so try System restore to a date before the problem started.It looks like you may have to do a system repair on it,I have no idea how this is done,But i am sure someone will be on here shortly to help you out,

Snooze64 10:42 07 May 07

Starting in safe mode was one of the options on the initial error message - unfortunately that doesn't work either. It comes up with a big list of "loaded:\windows\system32\drivers\....." but has now been telling me to "Please wait..." for the past hour!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple