Vista not responding

coinneach 20:46 13 Jun 10

When using my year-old Vista laptop, I am perpetually frustrated by windows hanging up, greying out and displaying a 'not responding' message. My main computer is a 4-year old XP machine which has very seldom shown this problem.
Is there a fix for this or do I have to accept that the Vista OS is a duff bit of programming which consequently didn't last long in the marketplace?

coinneach

sunnystaines 21:11 13 Jun 10

vista O/S is OK.

a lot of check to narrow down.

run antispware and antivirus with latest updates to rule out infection.

on windows files put in ther cd and opt for repair, run SFC too,and chkdsk.

maybe hardware power problem.

try the above and by then some more tips may have been posted.

northumbria61 23:07 13 Jun 10

A lot depends on the specification of your laptop and/or the amount of software you have installed - the number of applications running at "startup" and maybe how full your hard drive is.

You could start by using "msconfig" from the RUN command and "untick" all that are not needed at Startup.

Run "ccleaner" - download from here if you don't already have it installed - click here

mooly 07:08 14 Jun 10

It certainly isn't Vista that's to blame. Have you used any registry cleaners (including CC) or any 3rd party "tweaks" etc, because my experience is to say DON'T... ever.
As SS mentions there are 1001 reasons "why" but it's not Vista, which is super stable and really flies.

coinneach 20:52 14 Jun 10

Many thanks for all your contributions. It looks as though the sfc scan has solved the problem. The laptop now seems to be firing on all cylinders!

coinneach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced