Vista not letting me disconnect my external HDD

homer4god 17:21 09 Jul 07

I am hoping someone had some ideas on this one.
I have been running Vista for a few months without any mayor problems. When my USB external hard disk is connected however I cannot disconnect it, I keep getting the message that a program is using the device and it cannot be stopped.
I have turned off all the indexing on the drive but am still not getting anywhere.
If anyone has had a similar problem please let me know.

rawprawn 17:27 09 Jul 07

What happens if you pull out the USB? Try Take Ownership, click here

mgmcc 20:02 09 Jul 07

Sometimes if Windows Explorer has been accessing the drive, it won't let you "stop" it. Try opening Windows Explorer and access something unrelated, such as your "Documents" folder, then close Windows Explorer and see if the drive can be stopped.

I am Spartacus 20:44 09 Jul 07

It could also be System Restore running on the drive.

Also if it's formatted as NTFS doe you have the option to 'Eject' it?

homer4god 22:05 09 Jul 07

I have given all the suggestions a whirl but to no avail. Still getting the same message as before.

Cesare 15:35 10 Jul 07

I would try to Log off & switch off the computer. Then unplug the external HD completely. Switch on the computer and see if this works.

Carafaraday 16:23 10 Jul 07

I had similar problem with external drive and XP - in the end I did what Cesare suggested - just shut down the pc. When I restarted it was ok to unplug the external drive.

pj123 16:51 10 Jul 07

I have also had that problem on XP. I don't take any notice of it and unplug it anyway. It hasn't done any harm yet.

homer4god 09:46 11 Jul 07

Thanks guys, it is just the inconvenience of having to shut the computer down every time I want to disconnect the hard drive.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017