Vista newbie needs help!

Jackcoms 09:22 27 Jun 08

Just bought a new laptop with Vista (Home Premium) and I need some guidance on where I can find some functions which I used in XP.

Apologies if these questions are a bit naive, but I've only had an hour or so to find my way around Vista so far!

How do I bring up msconfig so I can look at the programs/processes which run at startup?

I want MS Outlook to run at startup and, in XP, I'd simply drop a shortcut into the Startup folder. What's the path to find that Startup folder in Vista?

Taff™ 09:28 27 Jun 08

Start (Type run in the Start Search Box) then click on Run when it appears. type msconfig as XP

ventanas 09:31 27 Jun 08

msconfig - just the same Start/Run and type it in.
But Run is not there by default. To show it click here

Right click Start and open all users. Open programs, go to Start up and drop the shortcut in there.

gazzaho 09:38 27 Jun 08

Why type run then type msconfig? Why not just type msconfig into search? I'm no expert I just got Vista myself, and I tried that and it worked without typing run first.

gazzaho 09:39 27 Jun 08

Ha you beat me to it! You posted while I was typing lol.

Taff™ 09:41 27 Jun 08

You`re quite correct. I was trying to demonstrate how to get to the familiar run command. ventanas gave the link I was looking for!

Jackcoms 10:26 27 Jun 08

Thanks for all your quick responses - which seem to have solved my problem!

Easy when you know how (but not necessarily obvious in Vista).

The jury's still out on what I think about Vista. ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…