Vista laptop / XP desktop network

mimosa418 12:27 14 Aug 09

I have recently installed a fresh version of XP Pro on my PC (HOME1). Since then I have problems with my network with a Vista Home Premium laptop. Previously I have had no problem with networking both machines which are connected by ethernet cable
I can access the shared vista files from the PC but if I try to access the files on HOME1 from the laptop I get the error message;
Windows cannot access \\HOME1 Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose”

Clicking diagnose brings up the message:
“Windows did not find any problems with this computers network connection.”

I can access the internet from the LAPTOP using the PC’s connection, and the HOME1 appears on the network map and in windows explorer on the laptop.

I have tried removing the Firewall and antivirus on both machines and various registry alterations as suggest for this error on numerous other forum without success.
Both machines can ping one another and themselves both by name and number

Fortunately I can manage with just the connection from the PC but it would be nice to have things working both ways. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution that works?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 14 Aug 09

recently installed a fresh version of XP Pro

have you set sharing on the pro machine?

mimosa418 15:29 14 Aug 09

Fruit Bat
Yes.
I have been through the suggestions of umpteen forums and nothing seems to work. Everything seems to be as it should.

mimosa418 17:17 14 Aug 09

Just for info.
A reinstallation of SP3 sorted the problem. Ther must have been a corrupted file somewere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…