Vista laptop keeps restarting- any ideas?

buel 11:58 02 Nov 13

Hi all, I have a 4 year old refurbished Vista Medion Akoya laptop. It has 3gb of ram. In the past I have put it under some considerable pressure such as having 15+ Firefox windows open and burning DVDs and it has always managed, even if the fan has sometimes been on full blast.

Since about two months ago, I can have it running with zero windows open and just burning a DVD and it will restart. When it does this it will usually restart again and again after only a few seconds of restarting. I have noticed that it feels quite hot to the touch so have put it in the freezer for an hour or so or just left it on a table overnight. More often than not this seems to do the trick, but not every time.

Thursday night I had 18 web pages open with several tabs open on each page and it restarted. Since then I have tried the freezer trick and even left it overnight but still it restarts.

Previously I have run all the antivirus and antimalware scans and disk check scans so I can't think of anything else I can try?

buel 12:02 02 Nov 13

I should add that now and then the laptop starts fine and three nights ago I even burned a DVD whilst having web pages open, no problem. I have about 40gb free of the 300gb hd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 02 Nov 13

HDD space is gettibg a little tight - time to get rid of unnecessary files / programs etc , back up stuff to an external drive.

However it does sound heat related (don't put it in a freezer) time to clean it of all the dust and fluff that will hav gathered in the grills and on the cpu heatsink and fan.

click here

buel 17:56 02 Nov 13

Thanks for that. However, I must say that it just restarted (whilst copying files to an ex hd)and the fan was barely on at all, nowhere near high revs. I am not confident that it is heat related. Could it be anything else?

woodchip 18:17 02 Nov 13

The PC box may need a clean, CPU Heat Exchanger may be blocked, fan not turning as it should

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 02 Nov 13

Lots of web pages open is going to produce a massive amount of temporary internet files.

my guess is its crashing due to overload on cpu and disk space use CCleaner to get rid of unnecessary files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…