Vista laptop 'connected' but I.E not working??

daniellabell 18:47 26 Aug 09

Hi, my firend's mum's laptop (Vista) says it is connected to their broadband(router) but when she opens Internet Explorer it says 'This page cannot be explained'. What could the problem be please?

tullie 19:02 26 Aug 09

You mean this page cannot be displayed i assume?Is this on any page she tries to open?

Pineman100 19:15 26 Aug 09

It sounds as though there may be an error in the URL specified for her home page.

Most people I know use Google as their home page. If that sounds OK for your pal's mum, here's what to do:-

Launch Internet Explorer. Click Tools>Internet Options. In the window that opens, click the General tab.

The box at the top of this window is headed Home Page. Click inside that box and delete anything there. Once it's completely empty, type the following in the box:

"click here" (but don't include the quotation marks).

At the bottom of the window, click Apply, then OK. Now close Internet Explorer.

Launch Internet Explorer again, and it should start up with the Google search page showing.

Pineman100 19:16 26 Aug 09

I wanted to avoid the URL appearing as "click here" but I failed. So I'll try something else:-

You need to type click here double-u double-u.google.co.uk

I hope that works!

Pineman100 19:19 26 Aug 09

I give up!!

aitch ttp://double-u double-u double-u. google.co.uk

Can you follow that?!

mooly 19:21 26 Aug 09

If you hover the cursor over the wireless icon in the system tray bottom right does it say "Access local only" or "Access local and Internet" ?
It may not be a PC issue.

daniellabell 21:44 26 Aug 09

So sorry for the wait, my friend said his mum wont be back with her laptop until 10pm so he will text me then. However, he says that his mum's laptop connects fine at her friend's house?? I should say that my friend says his xp laptop connects fine at his mum's house! Am i making sense at all? :o(

daniellabell 20:51 27 Aug 09

Im afraid that the mum of my friend isn't back until 10pm again tonight- how annoying!! However, did what i said yesterday mean anything? About the laptop in question working ok at someone else's house but not at her/my friend's house? (even though my friend's xp laptop works fine wirelessly)

mooly 07:11 28 Aug 09

It's very confusing :)
You are saying the laptop in question which is Vista works fine at one house but not at another.
Are these secured wireless networks ? that require the correct passkey to be entered.
Have you tried setting up the connection from the beginning,

click here

Did you find out if it say's "local only" as in post above. If so it may not be straightfoward to fix,
click here

Is the Vista PC patched and fully up to date SP1 and SP2 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…