Vista issue with HDD space

n1njafly 21:37 07 May 09

Hi folks,

I am having problems with my system after installing a second SATA HDD. My desktop pc harbours an asus striker extreme motherboard with (so far) one samsung 500GB sata hdd. This drive is filled with 250 gigs of data the rest is free.

When i tried to install a second 160GB HDD windows reported wrong capacities for the old (50GB instead of 500) and the new (100 instead of 160) drive.

Bios and device manager both show the right sizes, but the explorer doesnt. Windows vista should cope with the amount of storage space (its been a while since i the last computer problems).

I know there are similar problems in the forum, but i think i could not find a case compareable to this one.

The strange thing is, that checking my components with Belarc Advisor it told me the following about my drives:

Drives
SAMSUNG HD501LJ SCSI Disk Device (500,10 GB) -- drive 0
SAMSUNG SP1614C SCSI Disk Device (160,04 GB) -- drive 1

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 500,11 GB 266,54 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 1) 52,43 GB 3,43 GB free
g: (NTFS on drive 1) 107,60 GB 97,68 GB free

So i think Windows did something wrong during installation of the new driver for the HDD (-or something else happened..).
Thanks for suggestions!

D.

T0SH 22:40 07 May 09

Drive zero (C:)is a single partition 500 GB

Drive one (F: & G:) is partitioned into two parts total 160 GB

If you did not partition the second drive then someone else did ?

Cheers HC

n1njafly 07:53 08 May 09

Hey Tosh,

thanks for your genious reply. I`ve probably been completely overworked yesterday. Just did not realize that the c: drive is still there but has another drive icon as the other two compartitions.

Sad for my first forum post.

Best, D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…